According to the 1893 Atlas of Lapeer County, Dana Parker Carter owned 40 acres of land within section 21 of Attica Township at NE 1/4 NW 1/4. According to the previous atlas in 1874, the land was sold to Dana by his uncle Jonathan Sholes and W. Williams. Dana owned this land from at least 1893 to sometime between 1906 and 1921. According to the 1921 atlas, an irregular-shaped plot of land on the West side of section 21 belongs to the estate of “Mrs. E. M. Carter,” Dana’s wife.
The map above (and all maps following) show (from the top left corner, clockwise) the southeast corner of section 17, the south half of section 16, all of section 21, and the east half of section 20 in Attica Township, Lapeer County, Michigan. The boundary between section 21 and section 16 is Belle River Road, and the boundary between section 21 and section 20 is Lake George Road.
Important parcels of note include: J.W. Peck (S 1/2 SW 1/4 of Section 16), Dana P Carter’s brother in law; Sholes (of Williams & Sholes, N 1/2 NW 1/4 of Section 21, minus 10 acres in NW corner), Dana P Carter’s brother in law; and B. Henderson (W 1/2 SW 1/4 of Section 21).
By 1893, the land has divided further. Dana Parker Carter has acquired 40 acres of land once belonging to Williams & Sholes (NE 1/4 NW 1/4). J. W. Peck has acquired an additional 80 acres of land in Section 17 that once belonged to W. Williams (S 1/2 SE 1/4). Just across the road from Peck’s new acquisition is a small 5 acre plot in Section 20 that is marked “Carter.” It is unclear whether this is Dana Carter or another Carter. The land in W 1/2 SW 1/4 of Section 21 that once belonged to B. Henderson now belongs to Mrs. E. Mott.
By 1906, the lines have changed little, but the names have changed much. Dana P. Carter still owns the same land, but the 20 remaining acres of Williams and Sholes has been divided in half – the northern half remaining with Jonathan Sholes (Dana’s brother in law) and the southern half going to L. Carter. This could either be Dana’s brother Lavant or his son Levant. J.W. Peck still owns a combined 160 acres in Sections 17 and 16, but has also acquired the 5 acres across the road that previously belonged to a Carter. The land in the W 1/2 SW 1/4 of Section 21 has switched ownership from Mrs. E. Mott to Benjamin Henderson. It is unclear whether B. Henderson and Ben Henderson are the same person or merely related.
A new addition to land ownership in the area is Dana Griswold (W 1/2 SE 1/4 of Section 16) who owns the land just adjacent to Dana P. Carter. Dana Carter is Dana Griswold’s uncle, brother to his mother Irena, and namesake.
Fifteen years later in 1921, some things remain the same. J.W. Peck still owns the same 165 acres in Sections 16, 17 and 20. Dana Griswold still owns the same land in Section 16. Ben Henderson still owns the same land in Section 21.
The land once owned by Dana Carter is now owned by Mott Clifford. Instead, Dana’s widow owns an irregular plot of 35 acres in both the NW 1/4 and SW 1/4 of Section 21. Actually, it is Mrs. Eliza M. Carter’s estate which owns the land, since Eliza died in 1920, and previously had been living at the Lapeer Home for the Insane and Feeble Minded. I believe that the land was sold and acquired before Dana’s suicide in 1911, but it really could go either way.
So what does Ben Henderson have to do with anything? Dana Parker Carter’s son, Levant Brown, married a woman named Chloe Butler, and the couple had three children. Sometime after 1907, Chloe left Levant and went to live with Ben Henderson as a “domestic servant.” She eventually ended up being his common law wife and the two are buried together in South Attica Cemetery. The stone simply reads “Ben and Chloe.”